The information in your records can include things like:

  • name, age and address
  • health conditions
  • treatments and medicines
  • allergies and past reactions to medications
  • tests, scans and x-ray results
  • lifestyle information, such as whether you smoke or drink
  • hospital admission and discharge information

The Trust can only give you access to records that we hold. We can not give you access to your GP, dentist or optician records.

If you are currently receiving treatment from us, you can ask to view your records during an appointment. If it's not possible to view your records during an appointment, you can arrange a meeting with your healthcare professional to go through it.  

To request a copy of your records, you can download and fill out an application form.

*Application form coming soon* 

Or you can send a letter or email request to:

Information Rights Team
Information Governance
Maglona House (Unit 68)
Kingstown Broadway

If you want to see the health records of someone who has died, you can only do so if you’re either:

  • a personal representative (the executor or administrator of the deceased person's estate)
  • someone who has a claim resulting from the death (this could be a relative or another person)

Only information directly relevant to a claim will be disclosed. You can read more about requesting medical records after a death here. 

To request a copy of a deceased person’s records, download and fill out an application form below.

*Application form coming soon* 

Or you can send a letter or email request to:

Information Rights Team
Information Governance
Maglona House (Unit 68)
Kingstown Broadway

We’re not allowed to release any information without being satisfied about your identity. This means we’ll ask you to provide:

  • copies of 2 identity documents
  • 1 proof of address
  • written consent from the patient if you’re requesting records for someone else
  • evidence of parental responsibility
  • power of attorney for health and welfare if you’re a carer
  • proof of probate or letters of administration if the patient is deceased

We will not charge you for giving you a copy of your records. We may charge you a fee if you ask us to give more than one copy of the same information. The fee will be based on the administrative cost only.

Once we’ve received your request, we’ll acknowledge your application within 2 days. Your records will be sent to you within 1 month of us receiving proof of your identity.

  • you (the patient)
  • a member of staff
  • a person authorised in writing to apply on your behalf
  • a person with parental responsibility for a patient who is a child
  • any person appointed by the Courts to manage the affairs of a patient who is deemed to be incapable


For any application to access a child or young person's health record we are obliged to consider the following:

  • the child's level of maturity and their ability to make decisions with regard to access
  • the nature of the personal data
  • any court orders relating to parental access or responsibility that may apply
  • any duty of confidence owed to the child or young person
  • any consequences of allowing those with parental responsibility access to the child or young person's information
  • any detriment to the child or young person if individuals with parental responsibility cannot access this information
  • any views the child or young person has on whether their parents should have access to information about them


There are sections in the regulations which state that under certain conditions access can be refused. These are:

  • where the holder of the records is not supplied with such information to satisfy themselves as to the identity of the applicant
  • where the patient has died and the record includes a note made at the patient's request that they did not wish access to be given to their personal representative or to any person having a claim arising from the patient's death
  • where in the opinion of the record holder, the information may cause serious harm to the physical or mental health of the patient or other individual
  • where information is provided by a 3rd party, who would be identified from that information

Records that contain factual inaccuracies may be corrected after discussion with an appropriate health professional. This does not apply to matters of opinion which may be written in the course of your treatment.

If after talking to the health professional concerned you wish to raise concerns about the contents of your records, or how your information is being used, please contact the Patient Experience Team. They can help you to liaise with the service and discuss it further.

To find out more on how the Trust manages your information, please see our privacy notice.

You can find out more about how we process requests by reading our Access to Health Records leaflet.

You can read more information about accessing your medical records on the NHS website.

For more information about accessing someone else’s records see NHS Common Questions: